A go-kart frame might look simple, but you can only understand the complications when you build one. Building a go-kart frame might feel like a nightmare without proper planning, tools, expertise, and workspace.
However, if you can follow the guidelines properly, the same frame will be more straightforward than any DIY project you have done before. So, without further ado, let me show you how to build a go-kart frame step by step.
- Step 1: The first step of building the go-kart frame is to choose the metal tubing. 1″x1″x1″ gauge square tubing is the most preferred tubing option for a durable go-kart.
- Step 2: Use a level workspace to make sure everything is precise and level. You can draw the construction on the work surface and then put the tubing on that for a precise build.
- Step 3: After you cut the tubing according to the plan, lay them down on the surface and brace them. After securing the construction, start welding on the intersections with small tacks.
- Step 4: After you are done with the small tacks, remove the braces and start welding between ten tacks to solidify the joints. After you are done welding one side, move to the other side.
- Step 5: After all the tubings are welded firmly, weld the main frame underneath the frame. Finally, use an angle grinder to smoothen the welds, and you are all set
Write on how to build a go-kart frame without welding
Automobile manufacturing through a DIY process can be a great hobby to sharpen your debugging and problem-solving skills. However, as beginners, not all of us are lucky enough to have a well-equipped workshop. So, how to make a go-kart frame without welding? In that case, we must utilize our primary tools and work with them.
As most hobbyist is not likely to have a welding machine, it can be a massive challenge to build the frame with proper reinforcement and fastening. Luckily, even without welding, there is a workaround to build a perfect go-kart frame. So, let me show you how to build a go-kart frame without welding.
- Step 1: You first need to gather the necessary tools and materials for the frame. Even without the welder, you’ll need a drill with a hole saw to get the job done. So, start by collecting those.
- Step 2: Just like a regular go-kart frame, you must start by purchasing some steel parts. Go for square steel tubes, angular steel pieces, and flat bars with different thicknesses and widths.
- Step 3: Before you start cutting the pieces in shape, make sure you measure them carefully twice for accuracy, instead of cutting pieces together, measure and cut them separately for accurate measurement.
- Step 4: After cutting the pieces carefully, lay them on the work surface according to the design you want.
- Step 5: The main concern without welding is that the joints will weaken. In that case, the angular steel pieces will come in handy to hold the tubs together. Place those pieces on both sides of the joints and attach them with screws. You should have the frame ready right there.
- Step 6: After the joints are complete and you have the skeleton of the frame, finish by attaching the baseplate to the tube frame. Make holes around the tubes and baseplate around the tubes, then attach the baseplate and tube framing with screws.
How to build a wood go-kart frame step-by-step guide
The popularity of go-karts is nothing new. It has been popular since the 1980s when people used to have push go-karts. These push go-karts have inspired thousands of people to get into go-karting.
So, if you want to build a go-kart without an engine and the complications of engine go-karts for your kids, here is how you can make one.
- Step 1: First, you must cut out the necessary parts from wood pieces. These parts include the central board, seat, backrest, steering cross member, spindles, and braking system parts. Next, choose vital hardwood pieces for durability.
- Step 2: This step involves building the braking mechanism. Use a metal holder and steel cable to attach the lever to the braking system. Please don’t attach the lever too loosely or tightly; keep it moderate. Finally, put the lever pin through the central board and tighten it with a few screws.
- Step 3: To join the central board and the brakes, make holes in the board according to the width of the brakes. Then join them with a nut, screw, and washer. The washer will prevent the wood from wearing out.
- Step 4: Take the rear axle and steering cross member and make holes. Then, screw all four wheels in those wheels with washers to prevent the wood from wearing out.
- Step 5: After attaching the wheels, screw the rear axle and steering cross member onto the central board with washers. Then, attach the backrest to the main board with four screws.
- Step 6: Now that all parts are assembled, color or varnish the go-kart structure as you wish, and you are all set.
How much does it cost to build a go-kart frame?
Before you build the go-kart frame, it’s good to know its cost. This way, it would be easier to plan the whole project and allocate a budget for other parts.
As we are dealing with DIY go-kart frames here, it’s safe to assume most people here are looking for a way to build a cheap go-kart frame. One of the essential parts of a DIY go-kart is the frame. While all the other parts are readily available to install, you’ll probably need to build the structure independently.
Considering you have all the necessary tools, like drills and other workshop tools, the cost should be relatively low. But starting from scratch, the tools alone can cost you a fortune.
Typically, for the metal tubing, plates, pieces, and baseplate, you can arrange everything within $40 to $50, depending on where you are collecting these. Usually, local workshops and junkyards are excellent places to start the material collection as these places have plenty of metallic tubes and pieces available. If you are lucky enough, you can even get those for free.
After the tools and tubes are collected, you need to invest some money in buying different sizes of screws. Usually, a go-kart frame needs different types of screws; you should get all of them for under $10. You won’t need a budget over $60 to complete the go-kart build.
However, if the DIY frame building is complicated, you can increase the budget slightly and get an old or used go-kart frame at $75 from Craiglist or eBay.
That’s a wrap for today. I hope this article will give you some primary idea about how to build a Go Kart Frame quickly. The frame is arguably the most challenging part of a custom DIY go-kart, and it’s essential as it gives the go-kart a strong foundation. Despite the challenges to maintaining accuracy and durability, my guide above should help ease the challenges and make it easy for you to complete the go-kart frame build.