Go-karts are fun to build and drive, no matter your age. However, one thing to keep in mind is the cost here. Though buying one is costlier, even building on your own isn’t a cheap option either. That’s precisely where wooden go-karts come in.
You might be surprised that go-karts can be made of wood. Not only is it possible, you can take it as a fun garage project with your family or friends. So, if you want to know how to build a go-kart out of wood, stay with me. I’ll show you the whole process step by step below.
How to build a go-kart out of wood (Step-by-Step Guide)
If you have decided that you want a wooden go-kart, let’s get to work then. There are so many wooden go-kart plans with engine, on the internet. However, to make things simpler and more accessible for the reader, I have decided to keep the whole guide welding free and without any significant power tools.
So, if you have collected all the necessary parts, let’s see how to build a wooden go-kart step by step.
- Step 1: The first thing you want to do is create a checklist of what you will do. The list should contain the detailed steps and the serial of parts you will install one after another. Moreover, there should be a map of the wooden construction. After the plan is made, move on to the next step.
- Step 2: The next step is pretty simple. YOU have to lay out all the parts except the engine on the workshop floor. This way, you’ll get an overview of the whole plan. Another essential side of doing this is deciding on the leg room. Sit on the laid out bottom plywood and spread your legs. You’ll easily figure out the legroom you’ll need and work accordingly.
- Step 3: Cut the boot piece accordingly after deciding on the leg room. Then take three wood pieces below the bottom plywood piece as support pieces. Two with the exact size of the bottom piece and one about two feet long, below the base piece for support. The goal is to place two at the sides of the plywood and one in the middle.
- Step 4: At this point, you’ll have to screw all the pieces down to get the wooden skeleton. Drill screws as necessary from the bottom up to hold all these thick pieces of wood together. Then, do the same from the top of the plywood.
- Step 5: Take another wooden piece like the bottom plywood for steering. Then screw that on the top of the middle support piece. Make sure you put a washer between the support and steering wood piece for smooth steering going forward,
- Step 6: Attach all four wheels at the bottom and front after the steering piece. For that, you’ll need a square-shaped tubing with holes for screws. This tubing will work as a bridge between the wheels and the wooded construction.
- Step 7: Now that the wheels are in position, it’s time to install the engine. When placing the engine at the back of the frame, keep it as close as the bottom wheels, so the chain remains small. Next, keep the engine sprocket and clutch sprocket aligned. Then bolt the engine on the frame and install the chain.
- Step 8: After the engine is installed, make a handlebar mount at the front of the wood construction ad screw the handlebar on top of it. On one side of the handlebar, connect the brake wire; on the other side, connect the engine wire. That should conclude the building of a very basic yet fun wooded go-kart.
How to make a go-kart out of wood with pedals
If you want to make your go-kart even more cost-effective, simple, and safe, then you might want to consider building one with a pedal. As there won’t be any engine, it will be much cheaper and safer for kids in terms of speed.
The critical difference in the build is that you’ll have to install the primary driving sprocket at the front of the go-kart. Two pedals will accompany this sprocket on a metal rod.
Then, there will be another sprocket attached to the bottom wheel rod. Finally, you have to put the chain on connecting two sprockets so the pedals can turn the wheels at the back.
As you can see, there is no engine here, and the construction will be slightly different with sprockets at the center. But, apart from that, the build is almost the same as I have shown with the engine.
How to make a go-kart out of wood with no engine
I have already discussed two plans for wooden go-karts, one with an engine and one with pedals. But if those feel a bit complicated, you can also try a basic push go-kart. It’s the most cost-effective, simple, and fun way to introduce your kid to go-karts.
The whole construction will remain the same for a push go-kart build, as I have shown with the engine. But the mainframe will be smaller this time as you won’t have to install any engine. Just make the construction as mentioned above, attach the wheels and the only extra job here is to build a push handle at the back of the go-kart.
If you push it, make the pushing handle high according to your height. There you’ll have the perfect wooden go-kart without an engine.
That’s a wrap for today. I hope my article will come in handy to help you build a wooden go-kart. One thing great about the wooden go-cart is that there are different options. You can choose to build one with or without a motor. Moreover, wooden go-karts are less technical. So, it’s easy to build for people with basic technical knowledge.